Perry Township Board Meeting Notes

July 14, 2015

            

The meeting is called to order at 3:15pm.

 

Members Present: Barb Sturbaum, Susie Hamilton, Jack Davis, Dan Combs

 

Non-members present: Pat Combs, Sharon Yoder, Kevin Robling the Township Attorney and Lauren Slavin with the Herald Times

 

Agenda:

  1. Martha’s House
  2. Line Item Transfers
  3. Shelter Staffing
  4. Set Date for budget Meetings
  5. Kelly’s cemetery
  6. other

 

Martha’s House

Dan discusses Martha’s house updates and states that there has been a lot of meetings, since the last Perry board meeting, with Community Foundation, United Way, the County, the City, Bloomington Township and Perry Township and other agencies.  Dan states that it looks like it will go to Shalom Center.  Perry Township will go until September 30th of this year with the money our board has already appropriated and we will pay the Employment agency.  On October 1st United Way has stepped forward with a designated fund to administer the money from the City, County, and Bloomington Township money in order to pay bills for Martha’s House.   Jack asks how it was going with Express Employment and Dan states that it is working well. Dan discusses Shalom Center and how they are interested in taking over Martha’s House. Dan stated that the plans are to keep it as it is, which means completely sober and to develop it as a continuation of care and that the shelter has to be sober because that is the commitment we have made to the neighborhood.  Shalom Center is having a meeting this afternoon with their board to discuss if they want to take over the shelter.  Shalom Center is a United Way agency.  They are talking about giving us a two year commitment and Shalom Center will give us a proposal. The County Council has advertised $17,000 to appropriate today at their meeting and the City council is talking about $13,000 that they can access and they may be able to pick up another few thousand if commitments come in.  Dan states that will bring us to around $30,000 and we need around $40,000 to complete the three month period – October, November & December.  Bloomington Township has $6,000 that they are talking about committing.  This is the short term plan to get them through the end of year and then Perry Township would step back at the end of September and let United Way will handle dispersing the grant money.  Perry Township would still handle the little things like supplies that they need and time card checking.  Dan feels like we are progressing and Jack asks about Wheeler Mission and if they were off the table and Dan states that we have not heard anything from them and he has heard that they are interested in the other mission shelter in town.  Dan asks to discuss with the board and get their input regarding Bedford, Owen County and Lawrence County used to give money to Shelter Inc. and Martha’s House so their people could stay in the shelter just like Monroe County does and Patrick Murray and Bob Miller has never heard of that and has no memory of that happening but their procedures never changed in-house and so Bedford and Spencer people get up to 100 days in shelter and other out of county residents only get 10.  Dan wants to tell the employees the new intakes from Owen county and Lawrence county instead of 120 days to go to 10 days.  Dan wants to use this as leverage and send the counties a letter stating that we are not going to house their people unless they help to fund the shelter.  Susie asks about the County Council not giving money to Martha’s House.  Dan states that the Commissioners gave money around $20,000 in approximately 2006.   Dan states that Darryl Neher and Susan Sandberg has taken the lead in pulling the agencies together to work on funding.  The offer that they are working on and what we know is that it cost about $130,000 to $160,000 a year to keep the shelter running.  The building will still be Martha’s House but the name of the shelter will change.  Forrest has stated that he has people to come in with donations. Dan states that the building will still be called Martha’s house but entity name will be different.   

 

Barb asks about the lien that was in the newspaper regarding Martha’s House and who that belongs to, she is of the understanding that the lien belongs to the Martha’s House Corporation. Barb thinks that Patrick is working with the IRS to get the amounts reduced.  Dan found out that his name is still listed as the responsible officer on the paperwork, Martha’s House Board never removed Dan from being the officer and even though it is in Perry Township records that Dan and our board stepped down and we have in our records who was appointed, Dan will be working on getting that taken care of.  The information was being sent to their PO Box and we were not aware that they never updated the names. 

 

Board discusses Crawford House (we do not see people) and Rapid rehousing – (less than 10 percent) which were the people that failed the program.

 

Moved the discussion of Kelly’s Cemetery from #5 to #2 

Dan discusses the cemetery and gives a recap of the history and Perry Township agreeing to take over the cemetery and Perry fencing the property, we took over the maintenance of the property in the mid 2000’s when we found the cemetery.  The owner is Greg Chitwood and they were platting the area out as a big subdivision.  We agreed to build a fence around the cemetery.  The deed to transfer the property to Perry Township did not ever get made.  The fence cost $1837.00.  We have been mowing since 2010.  We have

never heard anything from the developer, and we got a call in June that said someone built a wooden privacy fence around the cemetery, tore down part of the fence that we had built. Dan spoke to the owner and the owner got angry with Dan and threatened to call the newspaper.  Dan started looking at all the information we had on the cemetery and that is when he discovered that the deed was never transferred over to us.  Dan asked Mr. Chitwood why didn’t he call us and the Mr. Chitwood stated that he didn’t think that we cared since we were not taking care of the whole lot and Dan stated that he thought that we were.  Dan states that we are obligated by law to take care of the cemetery.  Dan doesn’t want the board fence which doesn’t look nice but also would come with maintenance cost always.  Barb states that anyone can go inside and do anything like graffiti, drugs, etc.  Dan would like to let them know that we notify them that we are going to take care of the cemetery and what is left of our fence (the chain link fence) which is still inside of the board fence and that we are never going to take responsibility of the board fence or the lot because if we take care of the lot we take the board fence.  We do not need a deed to maintain the cemetery we only need to have access to the cemetery.  Kevin Robling gives his recommendations and choices that Dan and the Board has. Kevin recommends that we revoke the resolution and we can do that by making another resolution and we file it at the courthouse and with the recorder.   If we do another resolution it would mean that they would be responsible for the wood fence.  Kevin will draft the resolution with the board recommendations.  Barb makes the motion to pass the resolution that Kevin recommends and allowing the President and the Trustee is authorized to sign, Susie seconds and all in favor and the motion passes. 

 

Shelter Staffing

They had 4 staff including a case manager and 3 night managers and we are telling them to hire someone else so that they have an extra person for vacation or sick and to fill in hours so that they are also not doing any overtime.  Shalom is already working on a living wage for the employees and Martha’s house has a past employee that they are going to hire. 

 

Set Date for Budget Meetings

Sharon is looking at Thursday, September 10 @ 4:15 pm which would be the public hearing and the second meeting would be October 8th @ 3:15 pm which is also a Thursday.  The budget meetings has to be 2 meetings – a public hearing and an adoption meeting.  Sharon will send a confirmation email to confirm with everyone.    Dan and the Board discusses the group criteria for the grants and what our guidelines should be for approving them.  Barb asks that the letter that goes out to the groups should say 1) don’t increase your ask from last year because we are running short of money and 2) this may be the last year that we can expand our grant giving beyond sheltering and food or that our priorities are to groups asking for food and sheltering.

We are not going to invite back any groups that we did not approve last year. 

 

Line Item Transfer

Dan explains why we are moving the money and that this is for Martha’s House.

Barb moves that the board approves the line item transfer so that we can pay the bills.  Jack seconds and all in favor and the transfer passes. 

 

Other

Last thing is the Township Convention is September 20 through 23, for Indiana Township Association in Indianapolis.  Dan wants to close the office for a day so that the Staff can go for a staff development day. 

 

Barb adjourns the meeting at 4:10 pm

 

 

 

 

_________________________________

Susie Hamilton, Secretary